Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Felt Car Playmat

Not much sewing going on around here (if you haven't heard, we are moving 8600 miles), but I finally finished a "car playplace" for Maggie. I made one a couple weeks ago for a baby shower, and then it took me a long time to get Maggie's done. This is why I don't sell the things I make - I get bored making more than 1 of anything.
It is just a felt playmat for her to play cars (and trains!) on, but I wanted it to be a little more interactive than just a road. So I added a mailbox and a little letter (thanks, Tasha!), train tracks with movable barriers (thanks, Rachel!) a tunnel, and a parking lot (thanks, John!). Originally, I'd planned on something she could hold in her lap (12x12) but it just wasn't big enough! Still, this is small and lightweight enough to take with us on the plane.
Inspiration for gas pump, carwash, pond and garage here. I got the shoelaces for the gas pumps 3/$1 at the dollar store.
Cozy Cone Motel (inspiration here)
It folds into thirds and rolls up with a tie sewn to the back. I might add a snap to the tie.
Here's the baby's. Not quite as fancy, but he got his name embroidered on it. I couldn't decide on a spot for Maggie's so it's still blank.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

it turned out so cute!!!

Lisa Smith said...

Wow! This looks amazing! You are so talented!!